- 2015. Mam or Mum? Sociolinguistic Awareness and Language-ideological Debates Online. Sociolinguistic Studies 9(1): 115-135.
- 2015. The Ethnonym Geordie in North East England. Names: A Journal of Onomastics 63(2): 75-85.
- 2014. "Not Quite a Geordie": The Folk-Ethnonyms of North East England. Nomina 37: 1-34.
- 2014. Key Function Words in a Corpus of UK Election Manifestos. Linguistik online 65: 23-44.
- 2013. "That word so fraught with meaning": The History, Cultural Significance and Current Use of Canny in North East England. English Studies 94 (5): 562-581
- 2012. Folk Accounts of Dialect Differences in Tyne and Wear. Dialectologia et Geolinguistica 20: 5-25.
- 2011. Exploring a Perceptual Dialect Boundary in North East England. Dialectologia et Geolinguistica 19: 3-22.
- 2011. “It isn’t geet good, like, but it’s canny”: A New(ish) Dialect Feature in North East England. English Today 27 (3): 1-7.
- 2009. A Perceptual Dialect Map of North East England. Journal of English Linguistics 37 (2): 162-192.
- 2008. Investigating the Collocational Behaviour of MAN and WOMAN in the BNC using Sketch Engine. Corpora 3 (1): 1-29.
- 2007. The Routledge Dictionary of English Language Studies. London: Routledge.
- 2006 (with Janet Maybin). Literature and Creativity in English. In Goodman, Sharon and Kieran O'Halloran (eds) The Art of English: Literary Creativity. London: Palgrave Macmillan, pp.3-48.
- 2005. Informalization in UK Party Election Broadcasts 1966-1997. Language and Literature 14 (1): 65-90. (Winner of the 2005 Poetics and Linguistics Association (PALA) Prize.)
- 2004. The Marketization of Discourse about Education in UK General Election Manifestos. TEXT 24 (2): 245-265.
- 2001. “Getting Behind the Image”: Personality Politics in a Labour Party Election Broadcast. Language and Literature 10 (3): 211-228.
29 Dec 2015
My main areas of research are in sociolinguistics, corpus linguistics, and discourse analysis. My publications are listed below (click on the individual links or go to my academia.edu site to read them, where available).
- Acquiring cultural capital
- European satellite imagery
- Exercises in Style
- Galaxy Zoo
- Mike Schley
- Old Maps Online
- Speculative Grammarian
- Strange Maps
- The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction
- The north-south divide - where is the line?
- The Northern League
- The Onion
- The Planetary Society
- Tide tables for North East England